For current information about the cost of attending graduate school at the University of Arizona, visit the websites of The Graduate College and the Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid.

Please also be sure to be in touch with us directly at


  • Tuition is subject to change at any time. 
  • Some courses may have additional course fees or course related expenses. Refer to the Schedule of Classes for details.
  • The University of Arizona reserves the right to change the fees, policies, procedures, rules, regulations, requirements for graduation, course offerings and any other contents of this web site at any time.
  • "Tuition" includes a number of different fees, such as for library access.
  • Travel to Arizona from places outside the state or the country is an additional expense;
  • Expenses related to processing visas or other necessary activities may be an additional expense; and
  • Travel and living expenses related to the summer field practicum experience may be an additional expense.
  • Exact costs vary and may be more for international and out-of-state students.

Finding Funding and Fellowships

There are numerous sources of funding available for completion of the Master's in Development Practice (MDP) at UA. These include external funding sources, internal funding sources, and opportunties for paid Graduate Assistantships of different types. 

U.S. residents, make sure that you file a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Apply as early as possible for financial aid and make sure your funding is spread across the entire program (i.e., fall, summer, and spring semesters). For a list of competitive graduate funding opportunities, please consult the Pivot and GRAPES databases. 

International students, there are a number of awards available to fund, on a competitive basis, graduate education in the U.S. One useful listing is provided by Swarthmore College. To learn more about funding for international students, please contact us at


Graduate Assistantships

A TA-ship refers to a “teaching assistantship” and a RA-ship refers to a “research assistantship”. Both positions qualify as “graduate assistantships” (GA-ships) and come with certain tuition, health coverage, and stipend benefits depending on the level of employment. In order to be considered for a Graduate Assistant position, a graduate student must:

1      Be admitted to a graduate degree seeking program. Certificate only programs do not satisfy this requirement. Furthermore, Law, Medicine and Pharmacy students are not normally eligible for a GA position unless concurrently enrolled in a regular degree-seeking program.

2      Have a minimum GPA of 3.0. If a student is newly admitted, the admission GPA is considered for this requirement. A student must also maintain a minimum GPA of 3.0 during their appointment. Appointing departments may also require a higher GPA.

3      Be enrolled in at least 6 graduate level units. Undergraduate, Outreach, or audited courses do not satisfy this requirement. Appointing departments may also require a higher enrollment.

Appointing departments may also have additional criteria that a graduate student must meet in order to be appointed into a Graduate Assistant/Associate position. Note that TA and RA positions are ordinarly not available to students until their second semester of study. 

For more information on eligibility, please consult the GA Manual. For more information on the benefits provided to GAs, please visit Benefits of Employment. For any questions or concerns regarding this information, please contact  


Qualified Tuition Reduction/Educational Assistance Program 

The Arizona Board of Regents provides a Qualified Tuition Reduction (QTR) and Educational Assistance Program (EAP) that enables eligible active and officially retired employees, their spouses, and dependent children to enroll in courses of study at reduced tuition rates. You can read more about QTR on the UA Educational Benefits page


Peace Corps Fellow Program at the University of Arizona

The Coverdell Peace Corps Fellows Program allows Returned Peace Corps Volunteers (RPCVs) to attend the University of Arizona with reduced expenses while serving in an internship that benefits an underserved domestic community. For more information about this program and to apply, please visit the UA Coverdell Program. You can also read more about the current Coverdell Fellows in the MDP Program.  


For further general advice, see this article on how students can finance studies in international development