Finding Funding and Fellowships

The first source for financial aid for all students is through the Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid.

U.S. residents, make sure that you file a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Apply as early as possible for financial aid and make sure your funding is spread across the entire program (Spring, Summer, and Fall semesters). For a list of competitive graduate funding opportunities, please consult the Pivot and GRAPES databases.

International students, there are a number of awards available to fund, on a competitive basis, graduate education in the U.S. One useful listing is provided by Swarthmore College. To learn more about such awards, please contact us at

Graduate Assistant (GA) tuition waivers, the Qualified Tuition Reduction (QTR) Program, and the Domestic Partner Tuition Program (DPTP) may be used to waive the costs of the MDP program. Students are urged to contact the MDP management team for support in pursuing alternative funding opportunities.

Please download the document at the bottom of this page for a list of resources and links to potential funding sources and fellowships.

Peace Corps Fellow Program at the University of Arizona

The Coverdell Peace Corps Fellows Program allows Returned Peace Corps Volunteers (RPCVs) to attend the University of Arizona with reduced expenses while serving in an internship that benefits an underserved domestic community. For more information about this program and to apply, please visit the UA Coverdell Program. You can also read more about the current Coverdell Fellows in the MDP Program.  

A Guide to Finding an RAship or TAship at the University of Arizona

What is a TA-ship or RA-ship?

A TA-ship refers to a “teaching assistantship” and a RA-ship refers to a “research assistantship”. Both positions qualify as “graduate assistantships” (GA-ships) and come with certain tuition, health coverage, and stipend benefits depending on the level of employment.

Who is eligible for a TA or RAship?

            In order to be considered for a Graduate Assistant position, a graduate student must:

1      Be admitted to a graduate degree seeking program. Certificate only programs do not satisfy this requirement. Furthermore, Law, Medicine and Pharmacy students are not normally eligible for a GA position unless concurrently enrolled in a regular degree-seeking program.

2      Have a minimum GPA of 3.0. If a student is newly admitted, the admission GPA is considered for this requirement. A student must also maintain a minimum GPA of 3.0 during their appointment. Appointing departments may also require a higher GPA.

3      Be enrolled in at least 6 graduate level units. Undergraduate, Outreach, or audited courses do not satisfy this requirement. Appointing departments may also require a higher enrollment.

Appointing departments may also have additional criteria that a graduate student must meet in order to be appointed into a Graduate Assistant/Associate position. Note that TA and RA positions are ordinarly not available to students until their second semester of study. 

For more information on eligibility, please consult the GA Manual. For more information on the benefits provided to GAs, please visit Benefits of Employment. For any questions or concerns regarding this information, please contact

Qualified Tuition Reduction/Educational Assistance Program 

For eligible active and officially retired employees, their spouses and dependent children The Arizona Board of Regents provides a Qualified Tuition Reduction (QTR) and Educational Assistance Program (EAP) that enables eligible individuals to enroll in courses of study at reduced tuition rates. You can read more about QTR on the UA Educational Benefits page


For further general advice, see this article on how students can finance studies in international development