History

A detailed history of the School is here.

 

 

 

 

TIMELINE IN THE PROGRAMMATIC DEVELOPMENT OF THE UA SGD


SGD Era (2009-present)       |      GRD Era (1974-2008)      |      GAD Era (1961-1973)      |      Roots Era (pre 1961)


 

School of Geography and Development Era (2009-present)

2015

  • Moved from Harvill to the new ENR2 Building
  • The online B.S. major in Geographic Information Systems is first offered

2012

  • Professor of Geography, Andrew Comrie is named as Interim Provost of the University of Arizona for the 2012‒13 Academic Year
  • The B.A. major in Environmental Studies is first offered

2011

  • The Master’s in Development Practice (M.D.P.) degree program is approved as a joint venture with the School of Anthropology; its first students are enrolled in 2012 

2010

  • Professor of Geography, John Paul Jones III is named Dean of the College of Social and Behavioral Sciences, which he promptly redubs “The People College”
  • The M.S. in Geographic Information System Technology program is first offered as a joint venture with the School of Natural Resources and the Environment

2009

  • The first annual “My Arizona” public lecture sponsored by the School is held
  • The M.S. Program in Planning is transferred to the College of Architecture and Landscape Architecture
  • The School of Geography and Development is formed (replacing the Department of Geography and Regional Development)

 


SGD Era (2009-present)       |      GRD Era (1974-2008)      |      GAD Era (1961-1973)      |      Roots Era (pre 1961)


 

Department of Geography and Regional Development (1974-2008)

2008

  • The 50th Anniversary of the awarding of the Department’s first undergraduate degree is celebrated with a gala dinner and other festive events
  • The B.S. major in Geography is added, with options in physical geography; geographic information science; and water, environment and society

2007

  • The Water Policy Graduate Certificate program is first offered

2006

  • The annual Janice Monk Lecture series in feminist geography is launched and an endowment fund to support it established

2005

  • The Geographic Information Science Graduate Certificate program is first offered

1998

  • The journal you are here, a journal of creative geography is launched by the department’s graduate students

1997

  • The Department’s graduate students host the First Annual Western Geography Graduate Student Conference, with nearly 100 participants

1994

  • The editorial office of the Journal of Regional Science moves to the Department from the University of Pennsylvania; the JRS is coedited through 2002 by David A. Plane and Gordon F. Mulligan

1993

  • The National Academy of Sciences rankings place the University of Arizona’s Geography Doctoral program among the nation’s top twenty (at #19) 
  • The Department’s Spatial Analysis Laboratory is completed with grant funding from the National Science Foundation

1991

  • The Department hosts the Annual Meeting of the Association of Pacific Coast Geographers, attracting 300 registrants

1990

  • An article in the Operational Geographer lists the University of Arizona as ranking 6th in the nation in per capita geography faculty publication

1986

  • Sallie A. Marston becomes the first woman appointed to a full-time, tenure-eligible, geography faculty position 

1981

  • The Department transfers into the Faculty of Social and Behavioral Science, College of Arts and Sciences; in leaving the College of Business and Public Administration it loses the distinction of being the last U.S. geography department in a business school; the B.S.B.A. concentration in Regional Development becomes the B.S. major in Regional Development
  • The Department is moved out of the BPA Building into tight quarters in the newly opened Richard Harvill Building (over the strenuous objections of a number of senior faculty)

1979

  • The Western Regional Science Association moves to the Department; WRSA remains housed at the University of Arizona through 2011 under the direction of Executive Secretaries Lay James Gibson (1979‒1991) and David A. Plane (1991‒2011)

1977

  • Clair A. (“Chuck”) Shenk, Jr., becomes the University of Arizona’s first Geography Ph.D. 

1976

  • The Department hosts the Annual Meeting of the Association of Pacific Coast Geographers

1974

  • The name is changed to the Department of Geography and Regional Development

 


SGD Era (2009-present)       |      GRD Era (1974-2008)      |      GAD Era (1961-1973)      |      Roots Era (pre 1961)


 

Department of Geography and Area Development (1961-1973)

1973

  • The first applicants to the Ph.D. program are admitted

1972

  • The Ph.D. in Geography is approved by the Arizona Board of Regents

1967

  • A periodic faculty-student tea and colloquium is started under the leadership of Thomas F. Saarinen; the colloquium series remains a tradition to the present day

1964

  • The University of Arizona’s first M.A. degree in Geography is awarded to Charles R. Gildersleeve

1961

  • The Department of Geography and Area Development is formed in the College of Business and Public Administration

SGD Era (2009-present)       |      GRD Era (1974-2008)      |      GAD Era (1961-1973)      |     Roots Era (pre 1961)


 

Roots Era

1959

  • Geography is available for the first time as a major (B.A. degree) and minor field of study for students in the College of Liberal Arts

1958

  • The first undergraduate degree (in Area Development) is awarded to Esmund Martin

1957

  • The 1957‒59 catalog first lists Area Development as a field of concentration

1955

  • The 1955‒57 biennial catalog first lists Geography as one of eighteen fields of concentration available in the College of Business and Public Administra

1950

  • Andrew W. Wilson joins the University of Arizona faculty, likely the first member since Ida Whittington in 1910 to be employed specifically and primaril

1926

  • William Morris Davis, founder and first president of the Association of American Geographers, begins the first of four consecutive fall semesters as a v

1912

  • Arizona is admitted as the 48th U.S. state

1910

  • Ida Whittington is appointed as Instructor in Physical Geography, the first University of Arizona faculty member to be hired explicitly to teach geograp

1908

  • Henry Alfred Ernest Chandler arrives on the faculty and, in 1909, begins teaching Economic History and Commercial Geography

1906

  • Andrew Ellicott Douglass is initially appointed as Assistant Professor of Physics and Geography

1892

  • Physical geography is taught as part of the University of Arizona’s “Preparatory Course”

1885

  • The University of Arizona is founded

1880

  • The Southern Pacific Railway reaches Tucson, which, with a population approaching 8,000, is the largest settlement between the West Coast and San Antonio

1853

  • The Gadsden Purchase Treaty transfers Tucson from Mexico to the United States

1775

  • Spanish soldiers found the Presidio San Augustin del Tucson 

1692

  • Jesuit Priest, Father Eusebio Francisco Kino, arrives in the vicinity of present day Tucson and, in 1699, founds the Mission San Xavier del Bac

c.a. 1000 B.C.

  • First confirmed evidence of agricultural settlement along the Santa Cruz River

SGD Era (2009-present)       |      GRD Era (1974-2008)      |      GAD Era (1961-1973)      |      Roots Era (pre 1961)