MDP Funding

For current information about the cost of attending graduate school at the University of Arizona, visit the websites of The Graduate CollegeOffice of Scholarships and Financial Aid or contact us at 


  • Tuition is subject to change at any time.  
  • Some courses may have additional course fees or course related expenses. Refer to the Schedule of Classes for details. 
  • The University of Arizona reserves the right to change the fees, policies, procedures, rules, regulations, requirements for graduation, course offerings and any other contents of this web site at any time. 
  • Alongside tuition there are a number of different fees, such as for library access. 
  • Travel to Arizona from places outside the state or the country is an additional expense; 
  • Expenses related to processing visas or other necessary activities may be an additional expense; and 
  • Travel and living expenses related to the summer field practicum experience may be an additional expense. 
  • Exact costs vary and may be more for international and out-of-state students. 

Finding Funding and Fellowships 

There are many sources of funding available for completion of the Master's in Development Practice (MDP) at UA. These include external funding sources, internal funding sources, and opportunities for paid Graduate Assistantships. 

U.S. residents should file a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). A list of competitive graduate funding opportunities can be found on the Pivot and GRAPES databases.  

International students, there are a number of awards available to fund, on a competitive basis, graduate education in the U.S. One useful listing is provided by Swarthmore College. To learn more about funding for international students, please contact us at

Graduate Assistantships 

A TA-ship refers to a “teaching assistantship” and a RA-ship refers to a “research assistantship.” Both positions qualify as “graduate assistantships” (GA-ships) and come with certain tuition, health coverage, and stipend benefits depending on the level of employment. In order to be considered for a Graduate Assistant position, a graduate student must: 

  • Be admitted to a graduate degree seeking program. Certificate only programs do not satisfy this requirement. Furthermore, Law, Medicine and Pharmacy students are not normally eligible for a GA position unless concurrently enrolled in a regular degree-seeking program. 
  • Have a minimum GPA of 3.0. If a student is newly admitted, the admission GPA is considered for this requirement. A student must also maintain a minimum GPA of 3.0 during their appointment. Appointing departments may also require a higher GPA. 
  • Be enrolled in at least 6 graduate level units. Undergraduate, Outreach, or audited courses do not satisfy this requirement. Appointing departments may also require a higher enrollment. 

Appointing departments may also have additional criteria that a graduate student must meet in order to be appointed into a Graduate Assistant/Associate position. Note that TA and RA positions are ordinarily not available to students until their second semester of study.  

Our students who work as Graduate Assistantships typically have some professional experience in the research area. We encourage students to reach out to professor in the School of Geography and other departments. For more information on eligibility, please consult the GA Manual.   

Qualified Tuition Reduction/Educational Assistance Program  

The Arizona Board of Regents provides a Qualified Tuition Reduction (QTR) and Educational Assistance Program (EAP) that enables eligible active and officially retired employees, their spouses, and dependent children to enroll in courses of study at reduced tuition rates. You can read more about QTR on the UA Educational Benefits page.  

Peace Corps Fellow Program at the University of Arizona 

The Coverdell Peace Corps Fellows Program allows Returned Peace Corps Volunteers (RPCVs) to attend the University of Arizona with reduced expenses while serving in an internship that benefits an underserved domestic community. For more information about this program and to apply, please visit the UA Coverdell Program. You can also read more about the current Coverdell Fellows in the MDP Program.   


For further general advice, see this article on how students can finance studies in international development