About Katherine G. Sammler
Assistant professor in the department of Global Studies & Maritime Affairs, California State University Maritime in Vallejo, CA.
Areas of Study
- State of the Environment Conference, California State University, Long Beach, April 2018
- Cal Maritime Campus Scholar Talk,Who Owns the Rain? And Other Questions from the Intersection of Politics and Geophysics | Cal Maritime Library News Feb 22 2018.
- Mining the Deep Sea Frontier, New Museum Triennial with inhabitants: What is Deep Sea Mining? Episode 1: Tools for Ocean Literacy, Feb 17 2018.
- Critical Physical Geography Methods Workshop, San Francisco CA 2016
- Critical Physical Geography Defining the Discipline, Chicago IL 2015
- Oceanic Studies: Seas as Sites and Subjects of Interdisciplinary Inquiry (SSRC, DPDF), 2014
- East Asia Pacific Summer Institute, New Zealand (NSF, RSNZ) , 2014
- Intercultural Center for the Study of Deserts and Oceans (CEDO), 2013-14
- Remote Sensing & Spatial Analysis Minor
- Arizona K12 Center 2010-12
- Tucson Aquatic Enthusiast Society & Aquatic Syndicate, Founded 2010
- Climate Assessment of the Southwest (CLIMAS), 2008-10
- Water Resources and Policy Group, 2008-10
I am trained as a critical political geographer, but with a background in atmospheric science and physics. I conduct research at the intersection of science and politics in the realm of oceans, atmospheres, and outer space. My work considers the role of knowledge, law, and power in defining global commons, access, and environmental justice. Most recently I have published on the politics of seabed mining and indigenous rights in New Zealand, and public versus private rights to offplanet resources at the Spaceport America launch site in New Mexico. Currently, I am conducting research on astronomy and space infrastructure in Hawaii in relation to Native Hawaiian sovereignty.
Sammler, K. (forthcoming). “Kauri and The Whale: Environmental Ontology in Aotearoa New Zealand” in I. Braverman and E.Johnson (eds.), Ocean Legalities: The Law and Life of the Sea, Durham: Duke University Press.
Sammler, K. “The Deep Pacific: Island Governance and Seabed Mineral Development” in E. Stratford (ed.), Island Geographies: Essays and Conversations. Routledge Studies in Human Geography. New York: Routledge.
E.R. Kursinski, D. Ward, A. C. Otarola, J. McGhee, M. Stovern, K. Sammler, H. Reed, D. Erickson, C. McCormick, E. Griggs. Atmospheric profiling via satellite to satellite occultations near water and ozone absorption lines for weather and climate. SPIE Asia-Pacific Remote Sensing Symposium Proceedings, New Delhi, India 4-7 Apr. doi:10.1117/12.2224038
Sammler, K. Emerging Resource Management Strategies and Deep Seabed Mining in South Pacific Island Nations. Islands of the World Conference, Penghu, Taiwan 22–27 Sep.
Kursinski E.R., Young A., Otarola A., Stovern M., Wheelwright B., Ward D,Sammler K., Stickney R.. Groppi C., Al Banna S., Schein M., Bell S., Bertiger W., Miller M., and Pickett H. Laboratory and Ground Testing Results from ATOMMS: the Active Temperature, Ozone and Moisture Microwave Spectrometer. 21st Intl. Symposium on Space TeraHertz Technology, Oxford, 23-25 Mar.
AlBanna S., Groppi C., Walker C., Schein M., Bell S., Wheelwright B., d’Aubigny C., Young A., Golish D., Kursinsk E.R., Otarola A., Ward D., Sammler K., Bertiger W., Miller M., and Pickett H. A Single 30 cm Aperture Antenna Design for The Operation of 2 Widely Separated Frequency Bands for the Active Temperature, Ozone and Moisture Microwave Spec- trometer (ATOMMS). 20th International Symposium on Space Terahertz Technology, Charlottesville, VA 20-22 Apr.
Kursinski, E.R., Ward D., Otarola A., Sammler K., Frehlich R., Rind D., Groppi C., Albanna S., Shein M., Bertiger W., Pickett H. and Ross M. The Active Temperature Ozone and Moisture Microwave Spectrometer (ATOMMS). ECMWF GRAS SAF Workshop on GPS Radio Occultation. Shinfield Park, UK. 16-1 Jun
Sammler, K. Territory as Political Technology - A review of "The Birth of Territory" by Stuart Elden. Contrivers’ Review. 2 Mar.
Sammler, K. Book review: Island Enclaves: Offshoring, Creative Governance and Subnational Island Jurisdictions. Cultural Geographies; Islanding Cultural Geographies 20(2): 262.
Sammler, K. Book review: Island Enclaves: Offshoring, Creative Governance and Subnational Island Jurisdictions. Current Issues in Comparative Education; Education in Small States: Fragilities, Vulnerabilities and Strengths 15(1): 181-183.
MANUSCRIPTS IN PREPARATION
n.d. Sammler, K., Colonialism and Space Science atop Hawaiian Mountains.
n.d. Sammler, K., Atmospheric water within a hydrosocial framework.
Sammler, K., Vibranium and the Super Nature of Earthly Materials. Museum of the Moving Image: Sloan Science & Film.
Sammler, K., House-Peters, L. Tracing L.A.’s Marine Topographies: Climate, Currents, and Calamari. Association of American Geographers Newsletter 48(1).