Apply to the M.A./Ph.D. Program
Admission Deadline: January 5
The deadline for fall admission is January 5 for both domestic and international applicants. This deadline supersedes the Graduate College deadline. There are no spring semester admissions, except under unusual circumstances.
A background in geography or related fields in the natural and social sciences is recommended for the M.A. and Ph.D. programs. Students are selected based on their academic background, professional experience, and letters of recommendation.
- Applicants to the M.A. program must have a bachelor's degree with a minimum 3.0 GPA.
- A Master's degree is required for admission to the Ph.D. program. Applicants without a Master's degree who are interested in the Ph.D must apply for the M.A. program.
How to Apply
To apply, you must complete the University of Arizona Graduate College online application. Follow these steps:
- Create a GradApp account
- Complete your GradApp profile under "My Account".
- Select "Apply to a Program" from the sidebar.
- Choose "Degree Seeking" under application type and either "Geography (MA)" or "Geography (PhD)" under program of study.
- Choose the semester during which you wish to enter the program.
- Your application should now be initiated under "My Active Applications."
Statement of Intent
Please write a statement of intent of 2-3 pages (single-spaced), in which you describe your background, interests, and goals in seeking an M.A. or Ph.D. Be as clear and specific as you can in writing your statement. It is not necessary to propose a particular research project, but your statement will be stronger if you can articulate your areas and direction of interest, and how they fit with the work of one or more of our faculty members.
Letters of Recommendation
You will need a minimum of two letters of recommendation (three preferred). Enter contact information for your referees in the online application. Your referees will be contacted directly by the University of Arizona..
Transcripts from all colleges and universities you have attended or are currently attending are required. Photocopies of unofficial transcripts can be uploaded with your application. You will submit official transcripts later on, before you can be officially admitted by the Graduate College.
The School does not request scores from the Graduate Record Examination (GRE).
Graduate Program Questions
Dr. Carl Bauer
ENR2 Building, Room S525
Graduate Application and Curriculum Questions
Contact Elizabeth S. Cordova
ENR2 Building, Room S433