Internships and Research Opportunities
The School of Geography, Development & Environment strongly recommends that students pursue an internship (or several!) during their studies at the University of Arizona, whether or not it is for academic credit.
Students may register for one to six credits of internship in any semester, including summer terms. Most students register for three credits during their junior or senior year.
A maximum of six internship credit hours may be counted towards the major; twelve hours may count towards the overall degree. Each unit of academic credit requires 45 hours of work.
There are some ongoing internship opportunities for students, but students are also able to arrange their own internships in consultation with the Internship Coordinator, Dr. Rushbrook (firstname.lastname@example.org). Internships should complement a student's studies and offer an opportunity to enrich a student's plan of study and coursework. The internship forms are attached at the bottom of this page.
Be sure to arrange for credit prior to pursuing the internship; students must be registered during the internship period to receive credit.
- Watershed Management Group offers internships in a variety of areas, from urban sustainability through GIS to education and community outreach, that begin in the fall; applications due in the spring. More information at: https://watershedmg.org/learn/your-living-lab/internship.
- This website (https://www.environmentalscience.org/internships) offers links to internships in Arizona and around the country (summer or remote) that will be of interest to those interested in the environment and sustainability. It links to organizations that have ongoing internship opportunities, so you may want to check some of these sites regularly. Be sure to page down to see the full array of opportunities.
- Paid Summer Internship with NASA Develop Program, focused on GIS and Remote Sensing https://develop.larc.nasa.gov/apply.php.
- Bio/Diversity Project (fall and summer semesters): https://biodiversityproject.arizona.edu/get-involved/intern-biodiversity-project
- SWCA https://www.swca.com/careers/internships
- Arizona Game and Fish Summer Internships https://www.azgfd.com/agency/internships/
- Considering grad school? Apply for paid summer research opportunities ($5000-$6000) on campus and at Biosphere: https://grad.arizona.edu/uroc/sites/default/files/uagc_page/uroc_flyer_-_feb_1_0.pdf
There are some funds available to support students pursuing unpaid internships in the summer. See https://career.arizona.edu/program-card-summer-impact-awards.
Handshake (https://career.arizona.edu/jobs/handshake) includes internships in the listings of positions available.
See Dr. Rushbrook, ENR2 S426, email@example.com.