Statement on behalf of the School of Geography, Development and Environment : Response to Violence Targeting the Asian American and Pacific Islander Community
This week's horrific acts of violence in Atlanta, where eight individuals were murdered, including six Asian-American women, unfortunately again underscore violence and hate targeting the Asian American and Pacific Islander (AAPI) community. We do not tolerate hate in our community. We stand with our AAPI students, faculty, and staff in SGDE and want to again call your attention to available campus resources.
Between March 2020 to February 2021, Stop AAPI Hate has documented 3,800 cases of discrimination and violence against the AAPI community. These data, alongside the targeted violence toward AAPI women in Atlanta, underscore that AAPI women are at disproportionately high risk for violence. AAPI women are more than 2.3 times more likely to report harassment or assault compared to men. Roughly 42% of Chinese Americans have reported some type of discrimination or hate, followed by Korean (15%), Vietnamese (9%), and Filipino (8%) individuals.
Please take the time to learn more about this issue by reviewing the following resources:
- If you witness or hear of anti-AAPI harassment or assault, remember to report the incident to the Bias Education and Support Team. Also, check out these resources from the Office of Diversity and Inclusion.
- Support UArizona AAPI student organizations
- Check out the resources at Stop AAPI Hate
- Read the UArizona research on documenting harassment of AAPI students during the COVID-19 pandemic
- Students support. Students seeking mental health and wellness support can reach out to Asian Pacific Student Affairs(APASA) or International Student Services (ISS), in addition to CAPS for culturally responsive support and mental healthcare. Beyond campus, Asians for Mental Health has a thread of APIDA therapists who are willing to offer reduced fee or free sessions to the AAPI community.
Reach out if you have any questions or if you have recommendations on how DEI can support the SGDE community.
SGDE DEI Committee